Punk? - or Just Funky?
Funky hairstyles are usually considered the exclusive domain of the young and rebellious, but in truth, things like punk haircuts can be modified to suit any class or age group. Funky hairstyles do not even have to be dictated by a particular haircut, but can simply be the result of styling products. Conversely, punk haircuts can be toned down to be more conservative.
Funky hairstyles can be created using vibrant, unnatural colors, such as pink or purple hair dye. Punk haircuts can be created by forming spikes, cutting Mohawks, or with bluntly asymmetrical patches of hair.
Funky hairstyles do not require punk haircuts. Anyone can achieve funky hairstyles, even without one of the many punk haircuts. Modern and youthful looks can even be created by using only hair accessories. For instance, a plain ponytail can be "funkified" with an elastic band made out of faux fur. A boyish cut can be punked up by using styling gel to create spikes that stand out above the head.
Lately, the trend in men's funky hairstyles has been towards more subtle punk haircuts, such as the urban Mohawk. This is not the spiky shockwave that boys in bands used to wear. This more modern and minimal look is simply hair cut shorter on the sides than it is down the middle. The cut creates a subtle look that even a grandmother could love. The urban Mohawk is also very versatile. The style can be worn either with the hair sticking up (for Saturday night) or slicked back (for Monday morning at the office).
Punk Hair Care Tips
These tips are for longevity in styles, but be warned that it doesn't come out for about a week.
(1) For the little freaks out there, gel is your starting point. Good kind of gel is a big tub of something called La Bella. It costs about $4.50 - beware of cheaper rip offs!! Use the blue and green ones – they are the only ones that don’t smell really bad.
(2) Use hairspray - White Rain and Freeze Frame hairsprays are both great. Use loads and loads.
(3) Egg whites: these really stink, so don’t keep it in without hairspray. Slowly make a hole in the egg with a knife or whatever, and let the clear translucent goop creep out; when you start seeing bright yellow – stop! DO NOT USE THE YOLKS.
(4) Knox Gelatin: this stuff works perfect for about a week, but it stinks like crazy! It is pure protein so it will attract flies if you get it wet. Mix in a bowl that you don’t use for anything else. Mix with water, and nuke it for 45-50 seconds. You can find this stuff at the store for like 3 bucks it is the best.
(5) And finally, Elmers glue. This stuff works for people with fine hair or those with curly hair. Pour some onto your hand, grab a hunk of hair, pull and twist upwards. Do not just do one or two spikes, do 6 or 7. These are the A1 pimpin liberty spikes!!
Sources: http://1-hair-styles.com/55-funky-hairstyles.html and http://www.expage.com/punkerhair